Monday, May 9

Knittng on the go....

Knitting on the go I literally mean it the way it sounds.... I have been knitting in the parks in Lee Green and Kent, what a beautiful sunshine! Children are out on the playground licking ice cream and mummies get time to knit a nice cardigan or bolero for the cool spring evenings.

The knitting on my needles...
I'm knitting the gorgeous Cotton DK yarn on 3.5mm circular needles in a lovely pink colour with violetred edging. This will be a bolero pattern age 7-8 years once it is finished, watch the space for more information on the pattern. Remember the review about the Cotton DK yarn just a few weeks ago... The yarn knits up very evenly and drapes well in garments and accessories, I just love using it. Although I tend to use smaller needles than recommended, considering this is classified as a DK - aran weight yarn. The yarn is still fairly new to the shop, we only got it towards the end of last summer but I seem to be coming back to it for nice spring and summer knits, I have used it for several projects over the year. 



My second project on the go is a boys cardigan using Cotton plied wool yarn. I have used a lovely neutral colour, the cream white for this little garment and it's worked on 3.25mm needles. The yarn knits up very evenly, it is ideal for textured or plain knitting. It is available in single and multi colours. Ingrid did a great review about this yarn on her blog back in April, she says: "The yarn drapes beautifully and the combination of wool and cotton..." click here to read more. Again this seems to be a yarn I have used several times over the last year for cardigans and baby clothes.

Last but not least I'm working on a Girls Princess Pouch. For this project I'm using 4ply cotton yarn and 2.25mm double pointed needles. OMG this needles are soooooo fine...! And I did already break one of my 2.25mm bamboo's while working with this amazing fine yarn. We do recommend 2.5 - 3mm for this yarn, but because I'm knitting fairly loose I'm using the 2.25mm needles. This has also been used for A Stitch In Time Vol 2 and I will post a review on this yarn very shortly.

All three project will be available as pattern to download for free or to purchase at the knitshop.co.uk website. I will post a link to the pattern and photos about the projects once they are finished. 

Something to read for the Crocheters amongst us - I'm mostly talking about knitting as this is the main craft I do, although I did crochet all three of this yarns before. The mercerised cotton 4ply is my favourite to crochet, I use a 3mm crochet hook and I just love making small crochet flowers with this yarn. They are great for decoration, I use them to put on gifts for a handmade finish. The cotton plied wool yarn crochets up beautifully, it gives a great stitch definition and looks good with nearly every stitch. The cotton DK yarn I find is not as versatile as the other two yarns. Its more crisp and perhaps a little stiffer for crochet, but with the right size hook it will give you a great finish and look very neat and pretty once it is done. 

Watch out for new patterns, project pictures, new yarn reviews and great blog posts in the near future, we will keep you updated here on our knitshop.co.uk blog, facebook and twitter page.

Lots of sunshine and happy knitting!
Julieta @knitshop.co.uk

Links to this post:
knitshop.co.uk
cotton yarns, cotton plied wool yarn
knitshop.co.uk pattern
Ingrid's blog
facebook
twitter
crochet hooks
cotton DK review
knitting needles

No comments:

Post a Comment